Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Louis Diet

For those that have been with me since I started this often dusty blog, my weight has been a constant battle. Many moons ago I set a goal for myself and my husband agreed to treat me to a shopping spree for new clothes should I reach this goal. Well, initially this excited me quite a bit. But the excitement and motivation soon wore off, as buying clothes isn't so much a treat as a necessity. Sure it's fun, but if I need clothes I buy them. I don't need a magic number on the scale to give me permission. I want something, I buy it. So the scale has continued to hover near the numbers I thought it never would. But alas, there is a new challenge. A new motivation.

If you know me, you know I'm not a big clothes horse anyway. I've just recently bought a bunch of new clothes (Ann Taylor Loft is my heaven), but it was strictly out of necessity. My closet was in serious need of help. What I do love is nice purses. I have several Coach purses, a Kate Spade, and a Dooney & Burke, but what I covet is the purse almighty. A Louis-Vuitton. My husband can handle me spending $100-$300 on a purse without going over the edge, but $1,000+, um, out of the question. As much as I love purses, even I know this is a ridiculous amount to spend on...well...almost anything. Yet I want one....SO BAD. My mom had one when I was a child and from then on I always loved them. They're timeless.

RD and I had just bought a new scale and were exchanging our goals over breakfast. He's wanting to gain 20 or so pounds, I'm wanting to lose 30 or so...okay 39 to be exact. He said, "I tell you what. You get to your goal and you can buy your Louis purse, and wallet. You can get whatever you want up to $2,000." Me, "GULP...mmmm'kay!" Now I know my husband still thinks we'll never be spending this kind of money on something so superficial, because he doesn't think I'll ever lose all that weight. But yearning for something so bad...not to mention the size 8 I would so love to be...is a powerful, powerful motivation. And...well...I just love proving RD wrong. heehee!

To update...so far I have lost 9 pounds - 30 to go! Wish me luck! Ahem...again.