Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Oh...they're not mine.

My kids are at that age now that they truly say whatever is on their mind. We definitely have some years before their censors have formed.

One of my favorite things to read in Parents magazine, and others like it, are the embarassing things kids say. Not so funny when it comes out of your kid's mouth.

We live in what I would consider a diverse neighborhood. You always hear stories of kids seeing someone who looks different from them and making awkward comments in public. I thought, "How great! I don't have to worry about that. My kids will grow up seeing all these different races and nationalities, and they won't even see them as being different because they will be accustomed to seeing them all the time." Wrong. It just means they say these embarassing things sooner instead of later. Like SA, who likes to point and shout out, "Look Mom! A brown man!" Or ask loudly, "Why is that boy brown, Mommy?"

Then there's their grandmother who loves to joke with them about her big belly, among other things. Now the kids love to point out big bellies and say things like, "Look Mom! That girl (woman) has two chins!" Yea, I had a talk with my mom about that one.

And of course I'm the target of most of their observations. SJ rarely goes more than two days without pointing out my big belly. Which BTW, I didn't think I had until he pointed it out. And AR said I have two necks, which I'm pretty sure was in reference to my chin...or chins rather. And don't think you can let a silent (but not so sweet) fart slip out in Target without one of the kids yelling, "MOMMY'S POOPY!!!" No siree, I can't get away with anything.

But neither can you, so suck it in because you never know what small child might be lurking around the corner!