Monday, January 30, 2006

Thumbs Up

Because I can't think of anything else to say, here are a few movie reviews - some old, some new.

Walk the Line - Pretty good flick. The acting was amazing and the story very interesting. I had to go to the bathroom about ten minutes into the movie, but was sitting in the last seat of a long row with only one exit. There was no way I was stumbling over a long row of people unless I was about to lose my battle with my bladder, so I held it till the end. I guess it goes to show it's a good movie when I could go several scenes without thinking of how uncomfortable I was. And Joaquin Phoenix...mmm-mmmmm. I don't normally find him very attractive and never found Johnny Cash attractive, but Joaquin AS Johnny Cash...yummy. Out of a 10 I would give it a 9.

The Family Stone - I heard mixed reviews on this so I didn't know what to expect. It probably helped that I didn't go in expecting a great movie. Being a die-hard Sex in the City fan, I think I was hungry for some Sarah Jessica Parker. It was way predictable and had several roll-your-eyes-like-that-would-ever-happen moments, but all in all it was good. Out of a 10 I would give it a 7.

Taking Lives - Older movie, but new to me. Bleh. Way too predictable, but I was extremely bored and there was nothing else on, so I made it to the end. I was more focused on how gorgeous Angelina is and how huge her lips are more than the actual story. I really don't want to like her, but I got to hand it to her, she is beautiful. Out of a 10 I give it a 5.

War of the Worlds - Mmmmm...I liked it. Didn't love it, but thought it was pretty good overall. I can't stand Tom Cruise and I sometimes have a hard time getting past that when watching a movie, but I got over that about 30 minutes into the movie. *SPOILER ALERT* I did think there were a few ridiculous scenes, but what do you expect for a sci-fi movie? You can't exactly expect it to be anywhere near realistic. When the madness first started and Tom was rushing around watching the streets crumble, his kids were back in his house. No mother would leave her kids by themselves while she was outside checking out the aliens. Wouldn't happen. But this was a movie. And his son? Of course we all knew he would be alive and well waiting for them in Boston. How did we know that? Duh. And when they got to Boston, it looked like it hadn't been touched. His ex-in-laws looked like they were dressed in their Sunday best. But again, I know I'm overanalyzing. It's just a movie, right? Out of a 10 I give it a 7-1/2.