Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My How Time Flies

I was bored - or a better way to describe it was...looking for anything other to do other than the obvious (clean, laundry, etc.) - and was playing around on the computer, when I decided to pull up my ole' blog and read back on some of my old entries.

I started it in '04, but man, reading some of those old stories it seems like decades ago. It made me glad to have all those stories in writing. Funny stories of old neighbors, friends, and best of all, silly things my kids did in their first 2 years. It's amazing the things you forget.

I was quoting to RD the things we'd said to each other, the funny things our kids did (and some of the not-so-funny), and reminding him of our crazy neighbors that lived across the street from our old house. He, like me, had forgotten so many of those details you'd think would just stick. But they don't. Some things make you laugh, some make you cry, some make huge impacts in your life, some are forgotten before the day is through - whatever the story of the day is, it's priceless being able to look back and remember when.

I had so many "my children are so wonderful" stories and an unbelievable amount of "I've got the best husband in the world" stories. I was telling him about the latter and he said, "Gee thanks." I asked him why he said that, and he responded, "Well you say that like you can't believe you ever said that." It's not that...it's just...our marriage has its ups and downs like any other, it just made me smile to read so many positive things about him, us, our kids. It made me look at where we are today and appreciate things just a bit more.

Life gets so crazy you forget to do what really matters. At least I do. I need to get down on the floor and play with my kids more. I need to stop saying "In a minute" EVERY time one of my kids tries to get my attention. It's so hard, but I need to try.

Have you heard that new Trace Atkin's song, "You're Gonna Miss This?" It gets me every time. It's so true. All the craziness that goes on everyday...the good, the bad, the ugly...all of it...there's going to come a day when I'm going to miss this.

Reading back on those old entries of when they were babies, I already do.