Monday, June 23, 2008

Time Well Spent

Daddy's on vacation. Need I say more? It's wonderful getting to spend time together as a family. It's wonderful having someone to...ahem...sort of share the everyday responsibilities. It's great having RD around in the evenings to play cards with me. Here comes the big BUT...

Let's just say RD's patience runs a bit thin. And when daddy's crabby, everyone's crabby. Being the primary caregiver, primary disciplinarian...you know what works - or at least try to fake it pretty well. When you're with the kids 24/7, you learn to pick and choose your battles. Is the boys shrieking loudly while they play hide and seek getting on my nerves? You betcha. But you can also bet I find those deliriously happy screams a lot more tolerable than the deliriously angry screams of boys sitting in time out because they wouldn't play quieter. I can list a 101 more examples, but you get the idea. RD is picking at every little thing the kids do.

We were out shopping for a rug (with three kids in tow...who's crazy now?) when RD kept flipping out because the kids wouldn't stay RIGHT-AT-OUR-SIDE. I made a snippit to RD about him needing to keep his temper under control, when I realized I could stand to pick my battles more wisely myself.

It's only a week. It's only a week.