Friday, March 03, 2006

No Pain No Gain

YOWZA!!!!!! I'm not one to dish out unsolicited advice, but lend me your ear if you will. If you wish to get a tattoo, you better be damn sure it's something you're going to be happy with for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Let me repeat...THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!! When people questioned me at eighteen years of age on whether or not I would like Betty Boop when I'm say...oh, I don't know 32, my answer was, "Of course!! I looove Betty Boop!!" Well, I'm now 32 and could give a rat's ass about Betty Boop. I could also give a rat's ass about the ugly purple daisies on my right ankle. That's why I had my first round of laser-tattoo removal. Everybody say it with me now, "PAAAAAAIIIIN." The woman said it would hurt worse coming off than it would going on. She said it would be intense. The woman did not lie.

This was excruciating pain. My only saving grace was that it goes super fast. She lasered both tattoos in under 10 minutes, probably 5 really. The kicker is that it will take up to ten treatments or more to totally get rid of them AND I need to wait six to eight weeks between each treatment. I need six to eight weeks to get the courage to go through this torture again. But it will be worth it. I haven't worn sleeveless shirts for years because I hate this Betty Boop tattoo so much.

The cashier at the grocery store, noticing all my x-tra large bandages said, "Someone get hurt?" Always one to share my every personal detail to anyone who will listen, explained what I was having done. She seemed genuinely surprised that I would do such a thing. Why...she has Eyor (sp?) on her back and she's quite sure she'll never tire of him. I smiled at her innocent 18-year old face and said, "I'm sure you'll love Eyor forever."

*Little Disclaimer for all tattoo-bearing folk: I have nothing against tattoos. In fact I have one on my foot that I am keeping that I still really like. So spare me the slams. ;)