Sunday, July 27, 2008

And she's only four

AR sleeps every night with a pink and white stuffed puppy named Penny. As I was tucking her in tonight she realized she didn't have her in bed with her.

AR: Mom, I want to go get Penny.
Me: I'll get her. She's downstairs. As I rush off to get her I hear AR screaming, "I want to get her! Not you!" but in a rush to get her to bed I continue on.

As I hand her Penny...
AR: MOM! I told you I wanted to get Penny! Not you!
Me: I'm sorry, hon, but we need to get you to bed. Trying to divert my sweet Princess' anger... Now do you want to carry her up or do you want me to?
AR: I want to! Mom, I'm so mad!
Me: Here we go... I know you wanted to, sweetie, but I heard Penny calling for me to carry her up. She said she wanted me to bring her to you. The best I could come up with. At least I was trying.
AR: MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Penny is not a real dog! Penny is a toy, mom! A toy! Stomps off to bed..... Mom, I'm so mad at you right now.

Then comes the kicker...

AR: She reaches out, rubs my cheek and says...But I still love you, mommy. I'm mad, but I still love you.

Priceless.