Sunday, July 20, 2008

Two Thumbs Up

Watch out, world, I saw two movies in one weekend! Friday night I went to see Mama Mia and Saturday night, RD and I went to see The Dark Knight. They both far exceeded my expectations.

I was looking forward to Mama Mia, but having never seen the live production, going into it it was just another movie to me. I LOVED it. I'm not a fan of "shows". I've seen Wicked, The Lion King, The Sound of Music, among others, but it's not something I like to make a habit of. I drag my feet the whole way to the door, but admittedly I usually end up enjoying the show.

Mama Mia was funny, touching, and a whole lot of fun. There's a scene where she sings "Slipping Through My Fingers" to her daughter as she helps her prepare for her big day. I challenge any mother out there with a daughter to keep from crying during this scene. Then the next scene is Meryl Streep singing, "Winner Takes it All" to Pierce Brosnan (who is a horrible singer btw, but so gorgeous you just don't care) on the beach, and the waterworks returned. I wish someone would've warned me to bring some Kleenex. Who knew?!

The dork that I am, I rushed out Saturday morning and bought the soundtrack. The kids have been dancing and (mimicking my) singing right along with me. It's been a lot of fun.

Then lastnight was the big night. SA's big night that is. We were going to see The Dark Knight for him. Sure, we wanted to see it, too, but truth be told, it was our duty as Batman's biggest fan to go where he could not. There's been hype for months, and I've gotta say, it didn't disappoint. Heath Ledger was phenomenal in it. Oscar-worthy? I don't know about that. But he did steal every scene. It was long, and it was weird, b/c there were several times it seemed like it was over, then it just kept going. Had it not been for my very full bladder, I wouldn't have minded. And I've promised SA that when he's a big kid like me, I would gladly watch it with him. And sweet boy that he is, he's promised to hold my hand when I get scared. So sweet.