Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jon & Kate Plus 8

I used to be a fan of this show, but I'm finding it hard to watch anymore. Okay, that's not exactly a true statement. I find myself watching for different reasons now. Being the mother of multiples, I was obviously interested in "just how did they do it?!". I can go off on a tangent here on just how they do it...let's see...a personal chef, donated EVERYTHING, free all-expenses paid trips, people to do their laundry, people to fold their laundry, people to mow their lawn, but that's not my beef. First, who knows how much of that is true, and second, you should be allowed some perks when allowing a filming crew in your home to document your family's private moments for all to see.

What gets me is Kate. How she talks to her husband really makes me sick. The whole Mother Hen role really gets under my skin. She pecks and pecks and pecks at every little damn thing Jon does. HE IS A GROWN MAN. YOU ARE HIS WIFE NOT HIS MOTHER. AGAIN, NOT HIS MOTHER. I know several couples that, for lack of a better term, have assumed these roles. Hey, I guess it works for them. I certainly shouldn't judge, but then I'm not tuning into them every Monday evening. And I know, I know...if it bugs me so much, why do I tune in? Um...I don't know. I just do. It's like a car crash. I just can't look away. Did any of you see the Greatest Moments and Embarrassments episode? Every time they called her out for something, she turned it on Jon. Heaven forbid she just suck it up and admit she was wrong. The poor guy had to sit there while she tore him another one. AGAIN. She'd admit she didn't handle it well, but it was his fault...and if he knew better...(and this one she says all the time) if he loved her, he wouldn't act that way. Blech. Poor guy.

And then the kids. The poor kids. Let them be kids! They can't get dirty...she has a massive meltdown if they get anything on their clothes due to the HOURS she says she spends getting stains out (I may only have three, but I find this hard to believe)...she threatened to throw away one of the boy's lovey's b/c he got gum on it, and was SCREAMING, "three year old's DON'T CHEW GUM!!!!!!", when someone else (who also got a speaking to from her) gave it to them while babysitting. I could go on and on, but if you've seen the show, you certainly don't need a recap from me.

Anyway, she's just really getting under my skin. There are a dozen other things that bother me, but you can read them all for yourself. Here is a website Aunt Jodi's (Aunt Jodi being Kate's brother's wife who USED to babysit the kids until they had a falling out recently) sister has started...

"Truth Breeds Hatred"

Again, who knows how much of it is true, but I really wouldn't be surprised.

Here's another interesting website...

Gosselins Without Pity

And the family's...

Six Gosselin's

I know they have spoken out about the back lashing they've been getting lately. They had a message posted to their viewers on their website last week, but it got pulled down after a day or two. I know it's got to be hard to hear people saying negative stuff about your family, and I feel bad slamming them...or her rather...but when you put it all out there for the world to see, you have to know and accept that people will judge. With all the negative press that's been circulating, I can't help but wonder how long the show will last. I know its ratings are through the roof right now, but at some point it's got to be time to send the film crew home and live a normal life. The kids themselves are becoming pseudo-celebrities, and as a mom, I just don't see that as being a good thing. But then...those free trips to Disney, free tram rides through the zoo, and private shows with Elmo sure would be missed.