Sunday, December 19, 2004

Countdown to Christmas

I had this grand plan to bake dozens and dozens of cookies and make little goodie bags for all my friends and family. Okay, maybe not all of them, but a select few. Now Christmas is less than a week away and I don't see me donning an apron anytime in the near future. I guess those little goodie bags I bought from Current will have to wait until next year.

While the babies scratched each other, pulled each other's hair, and screamed in anger at each other over the prized-toy of the minute, I sat down on the floor to scribble out this week's plans.

Sunday

  • Go to Target to get M's (RD's stepmom - whom I am crazy about) birthday gift, little gifts (that I forgot to put on my previous list) for RD's stepsister's and stepbrother's kids, shoes for SA and SJ to wear with their Christmas outfits, L'Oreal Moisturizer, and maybe some lipstick (If I can find a color I like. I'm very picky about lipstick.).

Monday

  • Go grocery shopping.
  • Make batches of food to freeze for babies.
  • 11:45 a.m. - Home nurse is coming over to give the babies their Synagis shot for the month.
  • Clean the bathroom.
  • Organize Christmas presents into groups of events. Right now our bedroom in the basement is filled with presents - in no particular order. I want to get them into groups of who we're going to see (i.e., Christmas Eve - RD's dad's house, Christmas morning - RD's mom's house, etc.). It will make it much easier when loading up the car for each outing.
Tuesday

  • Clean, clean, clean! I mean really clean. There was a good quote in the January issue of Parents Magazine - it couldn't be more true, "Trying to clean the house while your children are growing is like trying to shovel the sidewalk while it's still snowing." -Phyllis Diller At this point in our lives, I don't know if our house will ever be truly clean, but I'm going to make an effort.
  • Go to Sam's Club to spend a buttload of money.
Wednesday

  • Take presents over to MIL's house, so we don't have to lug them all over Christmas morning.
  • 5:30 p.m. - Our friends, P & C, coming over for dinner (we're making chicken and dumplings) and to exchange presents.
Thursday

  • Clean and clean again. Yes, it happens that fast.
  • 5:00 p.m. - My dad and his wife, SM, coming over for dinner (we're baking a ham and making green bean casserole and Au Gratin potatoes) and to exchange presents.
Friday (Christmas Eve)

  • 4:30 p.m. - Go to RD's dad's house for dinner and to exchange gifts with his dad's side of the family.
Saturday

  • Make fruit salad to take to RD's mom's.
  • Make relish tray to take to my cousin's.
  • 11:00 a.m. - Go to RD's mom's house for brunch and to exchange gifts with "her side" (his parents are divorced). My mom will join us as well.
  • 3:00 p.m. - Go to my cousin, LM's, house to exchange presents and eat dinner with my dad's side (my parents are divorced...which I've probably already mentioned before).
  • Later that evening after we put the kids to bed, RD and I will exchange our gifts to each other. We figured it would be easier than trying to do it that morning while the kid are crawling all over us.

I thought I had an overwhelming week ahead of me, but it doesn't look so bad. I've got all my crossables crossed and I'm praying and wishing with all my might that we all stay healthy so we can enjoy our first Christmas as a family.

So, Pink Poppy, you've inspired me to make a list. Here's to hoping I stick to it!