Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Lessons in Building

Going into building, we heard all sorts of horror stories. So many, that we went into this on the defense, ready to have all sorts of hurdles thrown our way. Overall, it was a very easy, very pleasant experience.

Now, RD will go on and on about how much work it is moving into a new house, but going from experience at our last house, moving into an older house is much harder work. But that just goes along with my theory that RD isn't happy unless he is complaining about something. I love my glass-have-empty man. :)

It took quite some time to feel like home, but I have quickly come to love this house. It's such a wonderful feeling loving everything about it. How can you not when you get to pick out every detail yourself. Everything from the shingles, brick, siding, cabinets, flooring...down to the little things like door knobs and thermostats.


We started off throwing in all the bells and whistles, then seeing the pricetag, started weeding out all the things we thought we really didn't need. Hindsight's a bitch they say. Overall, there aren't a lot of things I would change, but there some things I would've done a bit differently or would have added.

  • Larger deck - we've been in the house just shy of two months and we're already adding on to the deck.
  • Bay window in bonus room.
  • Ceiling fan in bonus room.
  • Bay window in basement.
  • Heating lamp in ceiling right outside master bath shower.
  • Window for (future) bedroom in basement.
  • Run electrical wires under sidewalk for landscape-lighting in front.
  • Would've done some sort of fancier front porch. Maybe exposed-aggregate...I don't know...something.
  • Stained glass in master bath.

But there's a reason we don't have all that. Money...or lack thereof. So, I can't complain.

I love our house and given the chance, I'd do it all again.