Thursday, September 01, 2005

Prairie Dogs Rock!

I was desperate to get out of the house yesterday. I had been stuck without a van (in shop for repair) for too long, and the weather was gorgeous, so I needed to get out. We decided to head to the mall to go to ZGallerie in search of some framed photos for the dining room and breakfast room. Half way there, after commenting on how awesome the weather was, we changed direction to head to the zoo. On such a beautiful day, how could we go to the mall?

It was the kids' second trip. We took them earlier this Spring, but SA had some crazy reaction to his sunscreen, so it was a very brief jaunt. Last time we went, the kids seemed more interested in all the people there and could care less about the animals. My how things change!

They were enamored with all the sights! They were unimpressed with the zebras...even the monkeys...then came the giraffes. They were all leaning forward in their stroller and in unison they all started...barking at the giraffes. What can I say? They're obsessed with dogs.

I laughed at their silliness and kind of shrugged my shoulders at the mom next to me, and she said, "My son's been baa-ing at everything all day." Aren't kids precious?

We checked out the penguins, where AR let out an excited shriek making the ladies ahead of us jump. Then came the best part. THE PRAIRIE DOGS. The prairie dogs were always something to glance at and pass. What's exciting about a prairie dog? I failed to find a single thing. But our sweet children opened our eyes. They went nuts!! What it was about these little things that was so dang exciting is beyond me, but our kids thought they were the neatest things. We probably spent 15 minutes staring at our children, cracking up, watching them stare and crack up at the prairie dogs.

I always enjoyed the zoo. I'm an animal nut and always enjoyed a day at the zoo. Now it's not about the animals, it's about the kids. We had the best time. You couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces. Watching the joy on our kids' faces was priceless.

It was a perfect day.