Tuesday, November 30, 2004

It's beginning to look a lot like...

Christmas!

Okay...I don't mean that, but I'm trying. I'm really making an effort to get in Christmas-mode, but it ain't happening. I guess it doesn't help that Thanksgiving didn't feel like Thanksgiving. I'm accustomed to fighting off the extreme urge to puke from stuffing myself silly, but instead RD and I went home with stomachs grumbling with hunger.

We decided not to put up a Christmas tree this year. Our house is so small and it is already quite a task trying to keep the babies out of harm's way - I can only imagine the hunger for destruction in their eyes if we added that tall temptation adorn with bright lights. There's always next year - when we should hopefully have enough room in our new house to have a tree far out of their reach. For now I've put out knick knacks here and there. I just can't get into the spirit...not enough to pull out everything. I have so much Christmas stuff...you name it and I have a Christmas replacement for it...salt and pepper shakers, plates, glasses, spoon rest, the cats food bowl mat, throw pillows...and even a Christmas toilet brush (ick! Don't worry I don't use it...it's just for show), etc. If I drag all that stuff up here, it just means I have to drag all that stuff back downstairs in a month. It's not seeming worth the effort right now.

What does have that feeling of Christmas is our bank account. Yikes! Every year our Christmas budget gets quite the hike. This year is no exception. As I've mentioned, RD does like to keep a tight reign on our monetary matters, but even so he is quite generous when it comes to gifts. That hasn't kept him however from wondering where all our money is going.

Me: RD, have you looked at our bank account yet.
RD: slowly No...why?

Me: I did a lot of shopping (on-line) today. You might freak out.
RD: How much?
Me: Knowing if he was the one who did the shopping, he would be able to give me the amount - to the penny - that he spent at each store. At this moment I'm wishing I would've kept track a little better. Um...around $400...maybe $500.
RD: You're done?
Me: No. Almost...a little over halfway.
RD: $1,000? We're going to spend $1,000? My God...who are these people?
Me: Well...we're exchanging gifts with your sisters (and their husbands) this year. Something we didn't do last year. Um...there's more kids on my side now...and...
RD: It's okay. It's just...sigh...that's fine.

Poor RD. As much as I know he hates to spend money, he does appreciate the holidays, and does truly enjoy giving gifts....but I think this is one time of year he'd rather not have his nose in our bank account everyday. He's going to be all nervous until December 25 about the money we're spending, but I know when he sees the smiles on our family and friends' faces, all worries will be forgotten.

I'm going to the Lake of the Ozarks this weekend with the girls in my family. It's an annual trip we take every year where we eat ourselves silly and put a good dent in our Christmas shopping. I'm sure the outlet mall with be oozing with Christmas, so that should smack some holiday cheer into me. ;) And, yes, RD will have the kids ALL TO HIMSELF for over 48 hours!! That's reason enough to cheer!

And guaranteed they will keep him plenty busy. So busy in fact, that he won't have even a minute to worry his handsome little head about how much money I'm spending. ;D