Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Things We Do For Our Kids

I've always been a bit on the goofy side. If you know me you're thinking, "A bit?!" Just when I thought I couldn't get any goofier, I've found myself doing some pretty silly things for the children.

  • Sing and dance around the room like a fool. The louder, whackier, and crazier the better. The babies love it! It'll quiet even some of the loudest of cries.
  • Sing and talk in a sing-songy voice as loud as you can when you go in the other room. The babies are now needing proof that I am still in the house when I turn the corner.
  • Stick your finger in a poopy diaper. When you want the other babies to sleep that bad, you'll do anything to avoid turning on the light. Why turn on the light when you can just stick your finger in to check for evidence?
  • While arguing with your husband, do your best to keep the anger out of your voice. When you start to notice your voice raising a bit, turn to the babies and give them your best smile - reassuring them that everythings OKAY.
  • When desperate to sleep, hide that cordless phone with the ringer-control under the biggest pillow you can find. Better yet, stick it at the bottom of your husband's sock drawer.
  • When your babies get restless, turn on some soft music and dance them around the room. You'll find that it's just as relaxing for you.
  • Another reason to make your own baby food, it tastes much better...to YOU!! You'll be testing the temperature quite often of many-a-meals, so you might as well make it tasty. Fresh is always better!
  • Catching spit-up in your hand. You see it coming...the baby's about to blow...it's a new outfit...or a clean rug...if you're fast, you just might be able to catch it in time!
  • Go out in public with spit-up stains all over your shirt. I went to the grocery store the other day thinking, "I don't look too bad, only three spit-up marks!" Of course, I ran into two people I knew. Maybe I'll have to rethink things next time... ;)