Friday, November 26, 2004

Turkey Day

We had quite a day. We set the alarm to ensure that we would get a good start to the day. Things started off quite smoothly...

We got the kids fed. RD played with the kids while I showered and prepared my broccoli rice casserole. We got bottles and food ready for the babes to take with us...then it was bottle-time once again. We fed the kids, then as soon as we were done RD took a shower and got dressed. He comes out, looking quite handsome I must say, with the look of a man on a mission.

Me: Can you keep an eye on the kids while I get dressed and fix my hair?
RD: Can't. I gotta load the car.
Hmmm...let's see. I'm standing there in sweat pants and a t-shirt, the kids are still in their jammies...but RD has a job to do, and he takes this job very seriously. Nevermind that as he's walking around in his Dockers, Tommy Hilfiger sweater, and shiny loafers, his wife and children look like they just rolled out of bed...but the van will be loaded, and that's what's important.

Okay...looking at the determination on his face to do his very important task, I realize I must improvise. SJ is happily jumping wildly in his exersaucer, so he's fine. I can't put the kids in their own cribs or they freak out thinking I'm putting them down for a nap, so I put SA in AR's bed and I put AR in SJ's bed - they love it. It's an adventure for them. Yes! This is working, so I go in the bathroom to blowdry my hair.

Ahhh, yes, the blowdryer. SJ is terrified of the blowdryer. I can see him from where I'm standing...blowing...and he is screaming and crying, looking at me with deep concern; so I'm dancing around and making happy faces while I dry my hair, hoping to convince him that I am not caught up in some torture device...that this is actually fun and I am 100% okay with this loud tool, so he should be too. At this point RD walks by carrying who-knows-what, and he gives me this look as if to say, "Aren't you going to do something with him?!" I do my best not to give him my devil-wife glare and continue on with my hair.

Now I'm ready, the car's loaded up, now we have the kids still in their jammies - it's now their turn. RD is mumbling under his breath the whole time, he's in "rush-mode" and it's obvious I need to stay out of his way. As I was trying to put AR's beautiful, white tights on, she's trying desperately to roll over onto her stomach to "talk" to the cat that's meowing at her from down below. As this is happening, I'm realizing that the make-up I so carefully applied is now rolling down my face as I sweat profusely.

Now everyone is dressed. Everyone looks wonderful. Time to hit the road!

Everything went great. The babies were so good. They cried for just a little bit - it always takes them a bit to warm up to people, but it didn't take long. AR took a little nap in my Grandma's arms, SA took a nap in the Pack 'n Play, and SJ...well...he refused to nap, but considering how tired he was, he behaved quite well.

Everyone fussed over the babies, and RD and I couldn't be more proud. On our drive home we both realized, through the excitement of it all, we really didn't eat much. We were starving. Of course, nothing was open; and since we so desperately needed to go grocery shopping, it was slim pickings in our cupboard.

We got the kids fed and off to bed, and I rounded up enough stuff to make some white sauce and I cooked up some noodles. We settled in on the couch, ready to enjoy the rest of our quiet evening, and the phone rang.

It was RD's sister. She was calling from their Grandpa's house. He was having chest pains, he had pains going down his arm, and his stomach was upset. RD rushed out to meet them at the hospital.

He called me a little after 10 p.m. and they were still waiting on test results. He got in a little after 3 a.m....he's still in bed. I'm anxious for him to get up so I can find out how his Grandfather is doing. His sister called this morning, but was quite frazzled (understandably), so I am still unclear on his status.

So for now, I'm waiting for RD to get up. He works late tonight, so I want to let him sleep as long as he can.

To keep my mind off things, I think I'm going to start working on our Christmas decorations. In the meantime, please keep Grandpa in your prayers. :)