Monday, February 07, 2005

Can you hear me now?

After four years of marriage (as of next month!) and over six years together, it still never ceases to amaze me how I can be talking to RD for several minutes without him having the slightest clue that I am talking to him. I can be sitting right next to him, turned to face him, talking TO him, and at the end of whatever it was I was saying he looks at me and says, "Huh? Did you say something?" Then he swears up and down that he wasn't ignoring me, but that he really didn't hear me. WHEN I'M RIGHT NEXT TO HIM?! Even if I'm really into something I'm watching on tv, I can still hear everything going on around me. If we're watching something funny, he'll turn to look at me at funny parts (which I think is sweet) - I won't always turn to him, but I can see out of the corner of my eye that he does it - I notice. Geesh.

Sometimes he doesn't even hear the conversation he's in. This just happened a few days ago:

RD: They're done with that exercauser. We need to get something else to put their toys in.

They lost interest in the exercauser a couple months ago; right now it is acting as storage for all the toys in the living room.

Me: I'm going out next week. I'll pick something up.

RD: We don't need something that looks like a toy chest - maybe something that goes with....

Me: ...the decor?

RD: Yea.

Me: Yea, at Christmas I saw M and L had these cool baskets from World Market - I think they were $60. They were really big. They'd look nice.

RD: mumbles something then shrugs

A few minutes pass...

RD: What about that World Market place? They'd probably have something good.

Me: Yea. Good idea. Big sigh