Thursday, February 24, 2005

It started with a little Men at Work

I've been trying to limit the tv-watching during the day. The only show I like to watch is The Today Show*; other than that, I just like it on as background noise. The kids really don't seem to notice the tv at all. Every now and then a jingle will catch their attention, but as soon as the jingle's over, so is their interest. Even still, I thought it wouldn't hurt to tune it out.

So now our new thing is to play the radio. The kids seem to love the music, and I do, too. It's funny what songs will get them bopping in place. Most recently "Summer of 69" by Brian Adams and "What Have You Done for Me Lately" by Janet Jackson has got their groove a-movin'. SA and AR bounce up and down, while SJ's dance moves are to sway from side to side.

The station I usually listen to plays all 80's and early-90's music from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. - they call this their Retro-Music Hour. As a child of the 80's, I'm in heaven. Yesterday, they had it going on. I was feeding the kids lunch, dancing from highchair to highchair. AR would clap as she watched me dance, SJ would smile sheepishly at how silly mommy was being, and SA kept giving me this look that said, "I'm still getting more Dino Nuggets...right?"

Their highchairs are lined up against the dining room window. So I was a dancing fool for all the neighbors to see - but I didn't care. They played "Who Can it Be Now?" by Men at Work, "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Taco, "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, "Lost in Emotion" by Lisa Lisa, "Rio" by Duran Duran, and more. By the time they got to "Stand Back" by Stevie Nicks, I couldn't take it anymore. I was having so much fun, I had to be the dork that I am and call the radio station.

To my surprise, I got through right away.

(Girl) DJ: Y98 FM

Me: Hi. I just had to tell you - you are playing the best music. I am having the greatest time dancing around!

DJ: Wonderful! What's your name?!

Me: uh-oh...wait a minute. Her sing-song voice is telling me that I'm going to be on the radio. heehee! Mel___ _____.

DJ: Where are you calling me from today?

Me: Home...I'm a stay-at-home mom.

DJ: Great! How many kids do you have? I can hear them in the background.

Me: Three.

DJ: How old are they?

Me: They'll be one this Saturday. They're triplets. Thinking, "Please, Miss DJ. Please don't say something stupid now."

DJ: Oh! God bless you.

Me: Sigh of relief. Thank you!

We then hung up and I rushed to turn the radio up. Two songs later, right after "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins was our call. I was so excited! I felt like a giddy school girl, and immediately called my friend, D. I gushed to her how I was on the radio. She went on about how cool that was, then we moved on to more grown up topics.

Such a silly little thing, but it made my day.

Later when RD got home, I told him of my 15 seconds of glory. I then told him how funny my voice sounded on the radio. He said, "I love your voice. You sound like a little girl, but you have a really nice voice." Awww, thanks honey. :)

*When I went to NBC's website to get the Today Show link, there was a pop-up of Matt LeBlanc right over the search box. I can't believe that show is still on. I started yelling at the computer screen, "Get out of the way, Joey!!" I think I need to cut back on the caffeine. ha!