Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Insomnia

As tired as I've been lately, you'd think I'd have no problems getting to sleep. My first problem is this nasty cough. I have that annoying cough that follows a cold. Every time I lie down I have this constant tickle in the back of my throat. I kept popping in cough drops, being paranoid at the same time that I would fall asleep with one in my mouth and wake up choking to death. I actually laid there thinking, "If I start to choke on my cough drop, with RD sleeping, after waking him up (not an easy task), how do I communicate to him that I need the Heimlich (sp?) maneuver?!" I was going through my mind how I would do this!

I have the most ridiculous thoughts when lying in bed at night. Please tell me I'm not the only one! LOL I will worry for something for the longest time, something that worries me so much, I can't get to sleep...then the next day I might not even think about what it was that was keeping me up until the next afternoon. I realize then, in the light of the day, how irrational my fear was the night before. I've noticed these irrational thoughts, these feelings of impending doom, have increased since I've become a mother. I lie there and think of all the horrible things that could happen to my children...most of which are pretty unrealistic. What if a Brown Recluse spider sneaks into their bed? AR gets pretty crazy in her bed when she's mad, what if she gets her leg caught in between the crib rails, it breaks, then they think I did it and take her away from me? What if I'm walking down the hill with the stroller and I trip on a crack...then the stroller goes rolling down the hill...crashes...or worse, into the street?! What if a crazy person goes to RD's work (hospital) and goes on a shooting spree? It's happened on ER!! I could just go on and on! One thing I haven't been able to get out my head is that 3-year-old kid that choked on a piece of popcorn in a movie theatre and died! I heard several parents say, "I can't believe they were letting a three-yo eat popcorn!". I had no idea that was a bad thing. I'm a new mom, so I'm still learning...so I'd like to think I would answer that differently in the next 2 1/2 years...but that's so scary! I don't know if I'll ever allow my kids popcorn now...EVER! There's just so much out there. You could drive yourself absolutely batty with the "what if's"! Hell...I do!

What kept me up lastnight wasn't thoughts of impending doom, but real estate. I've always been obsessed with real estate - I LOVE the Real Estate Channel and www.realtor.com! I would like to look into it as a career once the kids start school. What had my mind racing lastnight was selling our house. We plan on moving late-Spring of next year. I know it's a long way away, but I'm just itching to get started! This sounds so stupid, but for probably two hours, I lied there thinking about what we need to do to our house before we sell it. I've been really into the shows "Sell This House" on A&E and "Designed to Sell" on HGTV. They're great shows that give wonderful advice on the little things you can do to your house to make it more sellable. Now I've got a running list in my head of things I can get started on now (e.g., new light fixtures, clear out personal pictures and clutter, etc.). At this rate, it's going to make for a long 10 months! LOL