Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Funny what a little good weather will do

What a difference good weather makes! I've felt trapped in this house all winter; unable to go out due to the risk of RSV, and not wanting to go out in the nasty weather.

Now we've had temperatures in the upper-60's and 70's. Sunny, nice breeze. Just perfect! I've been taking the kids out for twice-daily walks - one in the morning and one after dinner. I'm sure it's just in my head, but I swear my thighs and hips are trimmer. And my arms...well, no need to work out my arms when I've got a 40-pound stroller holding 70+ pounds of baby to push up a hill. The kids seem happier, I'm happier. I think we all were getting a little stir crazy!

One thing that I'm going to have to get used to again...being the walking freak show on the block. Some people just slow down in their cars to stare, some yell out the window, some even stop. I think the neighbors close to us are finally used to seeing us around, but it's the lookie-lou's driving by that we have to deal with. Today, we walked up to the school behind our house. I was just turning the corner when I hear a woman yelling behind me, "STOP!!! STOP!!!!! I need to see these babies!!!" Okay, wouldn't you be startled if someone started yelling out at you, running towards you full speed? I keep waiting to get used to this, but have yet to adjust to the sudden celebrity-status. She had nothing but wonderful things to say, so it turned out to be a pleasant conversation. Two days ago a woman stopped us to tell us how sorry she was for us. That's real nice, lady. Thank you. Thank you so much. Now I feel better. I told her not to be sorry, because we're not. She's lucky I was in a good mood, because what gets me is these people saying these things in front of my kids. They may not get it now, but they will. All I can do is do my best to keep a positive attitude about things, not lash out at them (as I truly want to do), and maybe, just maybe I can teach my children a lesson at the same time.

...or...I can wait to flip the person off when the kids aren't looking. hahahahaha! Yea, that's more like it!