Tuesday, April 19, 2005

If I Was Your Girlfriend

Yesterday was our home buyer's house inspection. There wasn't anything I knew of to cause concern, but seeing how easy everything has been thus far, I was a bit nervous. Stress is not always my strong suit. I was a bit edgy to say the least.

SJ has been more than edgy lately. I'm two tantrums away from calling the doctor. Seriously, the kid has been crying and throwing fits non-stop. Do I actually think I'll make that call to the Ped? No. But it makes me feel better thinking I have a solution lined up.

So after a tantrum-filled day, I was anxiously awaiting RD's arrival home from work. After a long day, and you mommies can relate, on "those" days there's a running countdown in my head on "minutes/hours until daddy gets home." RD finally gets home - there's the buyer's realtor, house inspector, and termite inspector walking around the house writing notes. Of course they don't tell us anything. We're not their clients, so we just wait to hear what the buyer wants us to fix. No, I'm not antsy at all. And I'm not a very good liar. ;)

I get the kids lined up in their booster seats and start dinner. All the while RD is resting on the couch. He says he had a long day. Humph...relax, put your feet up, I don't care. Again, bad liar, I know. Instead of doing the adult thing and asking him to help me out, I make exaggerated movements as I'm preparing their meal, getting ticked that he doesn't "just know" that I'm wanting him to help me out. Childish, I know, and knew at the time, but it didn't change the fact that I was pissed. I feed them, get them cleaned up, then plop my butt on the floor in the living room.

After letting things build up, I blurt out:

Me: You know...there's a lot of dads out there that take over when they get home.

RD: Are you going to take over the Emergency Room when I leave?

Me: Thinking...okay, now that's just stupid, but I'll bite. What I do is just as important. I've had a long day, too, and I would like some assistance when you get home.

RD: Where'd my girlfriend go? Where's Mel? Where's that sweet girlfriend I once knew? Giving me a smile...his way of trying to turn this potential argument into some witty banter. Damn it he knows just how to get me.

I just smiled back. We were both crabby, and this was not the time to have this discussion. But I will say...I haven't been able to get Prince's song out my head ever since. Silly and probably totally unrelated, but I think I'll have to pull out my Prince CD today.