Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Everyday Rubbish

First I must say that I'm so glad the whole gas incident happened - BECAUSE, thanks to that craziness, I was prompted to call the gas company to come check things out. He checked out our oven, and lo and behold there was a problem that needed to be fixed. It seems our igniter has worn out - so when turned on, the igniter would fail to click(?) and then the gas would just run and run; hence, the fumes that turned my world white.

While he was here, he said he was going to check the rest of our lines, and it should only take a minute. I got wrapped up in Dr. Phil (Did you watch that today?!) and RD was working on the deck...an hour later I check to see how RD's doing and realize - the gas man's still there. We got so consumed in our own little worlds, we were totally oblivious to the man hammering away on pipes downstairs while we went about our business. How the babies managed to sleep through that racket is a miracle in itself! Turns out we had pipes leaking gas all over the place. That explains a lot! Duhr. He said it's not like our house would blow in the next few weeks, but it's something that would pose a problem if we didn't tend to it soon. Thank God for small miracles. I'M SERIOUS! Just think - that craving I had for cheese fries just might've saved our house (and US, considering we never go anywhere) from blowing to pieces. Who'da thunk?!

So that was this afternoon...

This morning, the realtor came over to asses our house. The price she recommended is little lower than what we were thinking. I had looked at some comparable houses in the area, but she pointed out one major fault. If you know me, or have read any of my older entries, you know the problem. Da-ta-da-da...our neighbors. We have quite the diverse street, us being on the low-end of the scale. At the top of the street are $500,000+ houses, mixed in with modest two-bedroom homes. Our house is quite a bit nicer than these smaller homes up yonder, but their modest houses look out to these large, beautiful, Colonial-style homes; whereas our view consists of a truck up on blocks, PLANTED artificial flowers, large blue tarps, a black Mitsubishi of some sort with red bumpers and white Japanese (?) decals on the windshield...and I could go on...and on.

I knew our neighbors would be a problem.

Me: I guess there's not much we can do about it, but I was wondering about...our neighbors.

Realtor: Yeeaaaa. That's money. They're going to cost you. Now if you were at the top of the street.

Me: *sigh* Yes, the top of the street. The coveted top of the street.

Realtor: Sounding a little too excited... Those houses up there?! My God! They're beautiful! Ohhhh, how I'd love to walk out my front door to see that everyday! Now THAT'S a view! It makes you feel... Starts shimmy-ing shoulders back and forth and purses her lips out and let's out a giggle.

Yea, lady. We get your point.

So we decided on a price and started figuring when would be best to go on the market. The builder says our house should be ready by late-June/early-July, but that's never a sure thing. Both the realtor and builder have encouraged us to prepare ourselves for a possible double-move. Hell, nobody wants to do that, but if it has to be done, it has to be done. I don't want our house to be on the market forever, so we'll do whatever we have to...to an extent.

As of now, we're aiming for April 15; end of April at the latest. That will give us more time to get things ready (finish projects, get inspections, etc.), and our annuals should be up by then, which will make the house look even better.

Now I've got a hankering for some chocolate, so off I go!