Thursday, March 03, 2005

House For Sale

My postings in the next few weeks will probably be a bit sporadic. BOY, do we have our work cut out for us! The builder says our house should be ready mid- to late-June. I'm thinking that probably means July. So in talking to a few people, if we want to close on our house in June, we want our current house sold by May. The agent I spoke to said an "easy" closing will take about a month (allowing time for inspections, etc.) and a "difficult" closing will take at least a month and a half. Add that all up...we need to get our house ready for the market - FAST! We're aiming for April 1.

What we're struggling with is - do we use an agent or go 'For Sale By Owner'? If we didn't have three kiddos to deal with, I'd definitely do FSBO. But that requires a lot of work...there's advertising, finding a lawyer, hosting open houses on our own...just more than I really want to deal with right now. BUT, that's a big price to pay. 6%!!!! Ugh. I just don't know what to do.

As I've mentioned before, "I don't know" is RD's favorite answer for everything, so he says it's up to me.

I would really like to just hand everything over to this agent (whom I really like BTW), but is it worth the money? My sanity says, "hell yes," while my pocket book says, "are you kidding, me?"

So again I am looking to you, my dear friends, for advice. What have been your experiences? And as much as I'm hoping you'll say, "GO FOR THE AGENT," I really would like your honest opinion. Keep in mind we have three one-year olds and are building a house at the same time - no pressure - I'm not trying to sway you! heehee!