Saturday, October 30, 2004

Saturday Spooks

I love being scared. I love Halloween...love scary movies (Saw wasn't so scary BTW...entertaining...but not scary)...love turning out all the lights and sharing ghost stories.

This morning, however, at about 1 a.m., I got quite a rude awakening - and I didn't like it one bit.

I awoke to what sounded like a loud bang. I sat up in bed and saw bright, flashing green lights outside. I was in that sleepy-just-awoken-from-a-deep-slumber-haze...very confused...and I guess with all the latest Osama news, for a moment I thought that war had erupted right outside my window. Crazy, I know...but when you're that out of it, a lot of strange thoughts come to mind. When I would tell RD this thought later, he would laugh at the idea of our street being the target for an attack. When you wake up to a loud crash in the middle of the night, logic isn't at the forefront of your mind.

I sat up quickly and said to RD, "Something bad just happened outside!" The power then went out and we both jumped out of bed to look out the window. We figured it had something to do with the storm, as we have had many tree branches fall and bring lines down with them in the process. We both put our coats on and went outside to survey the damage. It was pouring down rain at this time. There was a decent-size branch next to our house, which must have been the loud noise we heard as it bounced off our roof. Then we saw a very large branch (from one of our many trees) had landed half on our neighbor's driveway and half on the hood of his car. Luckily, it doesn't look like it did any damage. By the time we got back in the house the power was back on.

Talking to our neighbor this afternoon, it turns out the green, flashing lights I saw, was a transformer getting struck by lightening down the street.

Exciting blog entry, isn't it?

So that was our drama for the morning. As silly as it sounds, that split-second fear of war erupting outside my window has given me a bit of the jitters today. 9/11, though it affected everyone, I did not know anyone who lost their life that day. It saddens me deeply, and I feel such sympathy for all those who lost loved ones that day and in this war against terror. I can not imagine going through such a loss.

I am so sick and tired of all this election bullshit. I'm so tired of all the calls, all the ads on t.v., and all the flyers I keep getting in the mail begging for my vote and telling me why I shouldn't vote for the other guy. For that reason, I'm ready for Election Day to come and go...but I'm also nervous for that day to get here. I have fear that there will be another attack on that day...and I'm fearful of them voting for the other guy, b/c I don't know that I would feel as safe with him as our leader. I've always been quite the conservative, so maybe I'm a bit biased...


...and maybe it's just the fear of the unknown.