Monday, January 10, 2005

I could just eat you up!

I'm sure most of us have all heard this expression at least once, if not many times in our lives. Be it an aunt, mother, grandmother...we've heard how much they love us or how cute we are that THEY COULD JUST EAT US UP!!

I now truly understand these words. Maybe a little too well. I've always thought of myself as being a bit...different...goofy maybe...in a fun way. Only my closest of friends really know me and just how goofy I am. I'm about to share a story with you - a story my husband begged me not to ever tell a soul. I'm sharing this story because after reading several entries from My Blog Library I've discovered that maybe I'm not so different afterall. If I remember right, I believe Suburban Bliss has a post somewhere in her archives about pouring chocolate on her children and eating them...or maybe that was Dooce. Anyway...

My story goes something like this:

Me: I did something really embarrassing.
RD: casually Whatd'ya do?
Me: This is really bad....weird.
RD: serious now What did you do?
Me: Wellll...I've had this urge lately. I know it's weird...but I just had to do it...get it out of my system...I did...urge is gone.
RD: WHAT did you do? now looking very interested
Me: See...SJ was crying, he wouldn't stop. I picked him up and he cuddled into my neck. It was so sweet....and...his skin...well...his skin...it's so milky-white...so perfect...beautiful...
RD: interrupting...Just say it. WHAT did you do?
Me: I licked his forehead.
RD: YOU WHAT?!
Me: I told you it was weird. I just...I don't know...he's so perfect. I had this urge to lick his forehead. I did it. I got it out of my system.
RD: That's sick.
Me: almost looking proud I don't regret it.
RD: That's really sick.
Awkward silence.
RD: Don't tell anyone you did that.
Me: laughing
RD: Seriously. That's way too weird. Don't tell anyone.
Me: laughing harder

I can't explain it. Maybe it's something you wouldn't understand unless you're a mother. I dunno. Maybe you are a mother and you're shaking your head thinking, "This lady's really a nutjob."

When I was pregnant I heard repeatedly from mothers, "You are never going to believe how much you are going to love these babies." Yea, yea, I know...duh! I thought that of course I would love them - unconditionally. But let me tell you...you just don't know. It is not possible for you to know how much you can love someone until you have a child. It's this crazy all-consuming love. No pun intended. I love them so much, I just can't get enough of them. I just kiss, kiss, and kiss on them some more. I figure I've got to get my kisses in before they get to the age where they can say, "Mommy, STOP kissing me!!!!!"

I'm feeling all mushy and lovey-dovey today, so I thought I'd share the "forbidden story." So...go ahead - feeling the urge? Go kiss your child. In fact, if you want, lick their forehead...their ear...or nibble on their perfect little toe. C'mon...I won't tell.

Your secret's safe with me. ;)