Thursday, May 05, 2005

Baby Talk

The kids have a fun time trying to imitate certain words. SJ has caught on to "Thank you." Now...I'm not going to try and start convincing everyone that I have this genius son that is already saying thank you for his peas, but he will often repeat after me after I say it. Except it sounds more like, "dake ew." He cries, "maaaaaaaaaa maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" when he's sad or angry and shouts with glee, "dada" when he's happy.

SA's favorite word is still "dooooo," otherwise known as "dude." He calls RD "deedee" (daddy) and he calls me that as well. I'll point to myself and say, "mommy," but he'll smile real big and say, "deedee!" That's fine. I'll take it. :) He has recently starting saying, "kitty" when he sees the cats. Then everything and everybody is "kitty" for a good hour after that.

AR, our girl, has from the beginning been more advanced in this arena. She started saying, "da-deeeeeee" pretty early. She also called me "mama" pretty early, but that quickly turned to "babu." RD would say, "Where's mommy," and she would point to me and yell out with great seriousness, "babuuuuuuu!" She'll throw in a "mama" from time to time now, but I'm more often answering to "bah" or her favorite, "babu." She moo's when she sees a picture of a cow and has a few times said, "me-yew" when she sees a cat. She was the first to say "kitty" - and it is hilarious how she says it. She's very purposeful in everything she says. She'll babble out a bunch of jibberish with the most serious look on her face. It's pretty funny.

It still amazes me how much they understand. If I mention one's name, the others will look towards him/her. I say "come here," and they usually do. Even if they don't, I know they know I want them to, they're just choosing not to. I know it sounds so simple, but I'm still jumping for joy inside when I give them a command and I see in their eyes that they "get" it. I've seen the frustration in them when they're trying to tell me or show me something and they can't find the words or expressions to make me understand. My little babies are turning into little kids.

I've gotten past missing the baby phase. They are so much fun right now, but with each month, no, each week that passes, it gets even better. It is amazing to watch them learn.