Saturday, May 07, 2005

Weekend Wandoms

Okay...that's a cheesy title, but sometimes you need to embrace your inner cheese. Embrace your inner cheese? My God...I have lost my mind! I think this new medication has made me a tad whacky.

I've been a packing fool these past few days. I've been doing 2-3 boxes at a time, so it hasn't been too overwhelming. I thought the basement would be the hard part, but it's actually going pretty fast. Most everything is boxed up or sorted somewhat anyway (e.g., Christmas stuff, etc.), so it's just been a matter of grouping things together and putting them in bigger boxes. I'm close to hitting a stopping point soon. I've gotten to where I've packed everything I can for now - everything else will have to wait until we get closer to moving.

We're going to the builder's tomorrow. We had chosen a Formica countertop for the kitchen, and we were having them round the edges instead of the hard, square edges. Turns out they don't have a machine long enough to round the edges of our counter, so either we go with a square edge or wood-capped edge. We went to look at our options a few days ago and liked neither, so we're back to square one. We're thinking of going with Craftstone instead. It's a man-made stone - unfortunately, we can't afford to go with granite, but it'll definitely be nicer than the counter we originally chose. It really sucks because had we known in the beginning that they couldn't round off the edges of the Formica counter, we probably would have scaled back on all the other upgrades we did and went for the granite. Woulda-coulda-shoulda. It was the builder's goof, so we're going to talk to them tomorrow and see if they'll give us a credit of any kind.

After we go to the builder, we're going to my sister-in-law's for Mother's Day. My mom, who normally tags along with us for all the family parties on RD's side, said she wanted to do something separate this year. She wanted RD to barbecue dinner, so she could have time with the kids without having to share them with anyone else. I had to play the mommy-card myself. I'm sorry, but I am a mother, and when do I get time for me? I know she's upset, but I told her if she wants something "separate," we'll have to celebrate another night this week. After my SIL's, I would like to kick back, put my heels up and do absolutely nothing. That's my wish.

For all you moms out there...have a WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY!!!!