Friday, May 20, 2005

See, what you NEED to do is...

That was the phrase of the evening. You got a problem? My dad's wife can solve it. Please note this is dripping with sarcasm. You might not even know you have a problem, but she's got a solution.

Overall, I guess the evening went okay. We were going for casual and easy, so we were going to grill some brats. Dad said that wouldn't work because she doesn't like brats, so RD made some burgers, BUT we didn't have any onions to go with the burgers. She somehow managed to keep the burgers down anyway.

I told her we just bought bedroom furniture, and she said, "You need to go to _____ to get your bedroom furniture, because...insert about 10 minutes of useless garble. "We already bought bedroom furniture." Didn't I just say that? "Well, if you need to buy more, you need to go there." mmm-kay.

They usually leave by 8 p.m., which would've worked out perfect because RD is working nights and he usually takes a nap between 8-10 p.m. It looked like they were getting ready to go, when she noticed C.S.I. was on, so they sat down to watch the last hour and a half. I was planning on watching it anyway, so I didn't mind, but both my dad and his wife gave a running play-by-play on everything that was happening. I wanted to say, "You do know we're watching the same show. The commentary? Totally not necessary. We get what's going on."

As soon as C.S.I. was over, I knew ER was coming on, which I also wanted to watch, but I was afraid they might stay an hour more, so I left it on the same channel, missed the first few minutes of my show (worth the sacrifice!), and said our goodbye's.

I get along with her much better than I did in previous years. I can see she's not going anywhere, and no matter how annoying, she's here to stay, so I want to be as supportive to my dad as I can be. But dang, the woman just talks and talks and talks and talks. It's so exhausting! I don't know how my dad does it.