Friday, May 13, 2005

Unusual Night

I was watching ER lastnight, and started to feel what I can only describe as funny. My chest was a bit tight. I had a sort of nervous feeling all over. I did my best to ignore it and headed off to bed. I was lying on my stomach when suddenly my left arm started to tingle. I wasn't lying on it, I had it above my head, under my pillow. I rolled over onto my back and noticed I felt that tingly feeling all over. My head had that medicine-head feeling. I got up to go to the bathroom, turned the light on, and sat on the toilet, staring ahead of me. When I would explain this to RD later, he looked at me a bit strange when I told him, but what I felt like was that I had to concentrate really hard not to pass out.

I had an episode like this a couple years ago. I might have posted about this before; I can't remember. I got up to go to the bathroom and passed out, hitting my head on the toilet on my way down. I went through many tests (e.g., EKG, heart monitor for a week...which was called a Holter monitor...or something like that, CAT Scan, bloodwork, etc.). My thyroid test showed to be a bit hyperactive, but other than that, everything turned out normal. They thought maybe I was straining so hard on the toilet that I passed out. Now...I've had some bad poo's, but c'mon. I'm a pusher, but I don't know that I could push that hard. They also thought it might be that I was pregnant. This was during the period of my many miscarriages and I had stopped testing for pregnancy at this point. I very well may have been pregnant, but with all my pregnancies, I never experienced fainting spells. So we just chucked it up as a freak thing, and went on like nothing happened. The one thing I did remember from that episode, was my left arm having that coming-back-from-being-asleep feeling - the same feeling I had lastnight.

I paged RD at work and he said he would be leaving within 10 minutes. I kept feeling that I was about to pass out, and trying not to panic, I called my mom who lives 5 minutes away and asked that she come over until RD got home. The idea of passing out with the kids sleeping in the other room worried me immensely. By the time my mom got there I was shaking on the bed. My teeth were chattering and my body was trembling, but I did not feel cold. Minutes into my mom's visit, I was feeling better.

RD arrived about 20 minutes later. Amazingly, other than the feeling in my arm, I felt fine. Isn't that how it always works? I told my mom she could go home, we didn't think it was necessary for me to go to the ER. We went to bed and I was hounding RD with questions, asking him what he thought was wrong with me. "Stress," he said. "I don't know that stress could have this reaction on me." He then brought up the matter which I've been stressing over, asking me how much I've been thinking about it today. Immediately, my symptoms started to come back. Dang it, he's always right. Well...usually.

So I've been doing my best to not think about things. The stressful matter is something with one of the kids. It shouldn't be a big deal...it's a cyst...long story...probably normal...don't want to talk about it...they have an appointment in two weeks....that's all I'm saying about it for now. Again, I've been told it's most likely nothing at all. I'm feeling better today. My arm still feels sort of sore. Probably unrelated. Maybe I hurt it packing or something.

Drama. I swear it's always something. Gas leaks...neighbor troubles...always something. ha! Anyway, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I probably won't be posting again until Sunday. RD's off today and tomorrow, so I should be too busy to get on-line again. We'll see...I have my ways of making time. ;)