Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Breaking the Rules

Since the babies were old enough (and we got the "okay" from the doctor) we've used the CIO (crying-it-out) method with the babies. It's something I speak highly of, as it has worked tremendously for us; however, it's not always easy. The majority of the time, the crying doesn't last long. I should preface this by saying that AR is who we primarily practice CIO with; the boys usually go right to sleep w/o a fuss. AR on the other hand, puts up a fight most every night - some nights she fights longer than others. Once she's asleep she's good until morning, it's just getting her to sleep.

On a normal night, she cries for about 10 minutes, then drifts to sleep. Every now and then we have one of "those" nights where it lasts longer...MUCH LONGER. Two nights this week she cried for an hour and a half before falling asleep!!!!! I did, of course, check in on her periodically - make sure she's not tangled up in her blanket or smooshed up against the rails. I would pat her back or stroke her hair, she would calm down instantly; then the moment I walked away her head started spinning and she started spitting green pea soup across the room...wait, no, that's not how it went...you get the picture. ;)

During these long spells (which BTW, both boys sleep through...how they do is a mystery to me!), I've checked for a fever (they always feel hot to me, so I feel like I'm always taking their temperature(s)!), changed her diaper, made sure there wasn't a hair wrapped around a finger or a toe...wondered if maybe she just wasn't tired, but it's been obvious that she's exhausted. It could be that she's too tired; afterall, the girl is an awful napper. We introduced broccoli (mixed with potato) several days ago - we've decided to stop that for awhile, thinking the broccoli might be too harsh on her tummy.

Whatever the reason, I just can't let her cry like that...I had to pick her up...rock her...whisper how much I loved her...kiss her tears away...hold her close. This is obviously something I can't do every night, or don't want to do every night anyway. As much as I'd love to, I don't want that to be the only way to get her to go to sleep. But then I think of the nights that I have a hard time getting to sleep (which there have been many lately)- how wonderful it would be if someone would hold me, sing softly to me, and run their fingers through my hair.

We went through this tonight. She was crazy for about 20 minutes, I held her close, loved on her (as I call it) for a few minutes, and put her back to bed. She cried for about 10 more minutes, then went fast asleep. If my sweet princess needs that from me from time to time, I don't want to deny her that. Now if she starts waking up in the middle of the night wanting a repeat performance...we'll have to renegotiate. ;)