Saturday, September 25, 2004

Weepers

There are some songs and movie endings that get the tears flowing almost every time (Yes, I said before that I rarely cried before I had the babies. Truth is I cried quite a bit really, I just never let anyone see me do it before...now I have no control!! LOL). There are many movies that I could sit and watch the last 10-15 minutes over and over again...and cry every time:

  1. She's Having a Baby - I love this movie. She's ready to have a baby, he's going through a mid-life crisis and isn't so sure. Once he thinks he's lost both his wife and son during the delivery, the life they've had together flashes before his eyes...it's beautiful, funny...it's a great movie.
  2. Ghost - Damn, that last scene gets me every time!!! "I love you" "Ditto" If that doesn't make you cry, you're heartless!! ha! One of the most romantic scenes in that movie is when Demi Moore is dancing with Whoopi Goldberg, who is at that moment possessed (?...I don't know how else to describe that) by Patrick Swayze.
  3. Meet Joe Black - Okay...I know a lot of people hated this movie. I loved it. The ending (which I just watched again tonight BTW) is great. The dramatic music, the hope for what's to come...love it.
  4. Moulin Rouge - OH! One of my favorite movies. When Ewan McGregor is holding Nicole in his arms as she's dying...(sigh)
  5. Terms of Endearment - Need I say more?
  6. Sommersby - This has GOT TO BE the saddest, most sob-worthy ending to a movie I have ever seen. If you've seen it...when Richard Gere's character screams out "Laurel!"...ohhh...it's just too much...pass the damn tissue!
  7. Old Yeller - I don't remember it much now...it's been years, but I do remember one thing, Old Yeller's dead and I cried A LOT.
  8. Titanic - I know, I know...too easy. Either you loved it or you hated it. Yes, I admit it, I loved it. Now, it seems people differ on the ending. I think that the old lady dies. As they show her lying there with her eyes closed (sleeping some say...I think the old bag's dead), they pan over all these pictures of her doing all the things she told dear Leo (when she was taking up the whole board by herself while her poor man is hanging on in the water...couldn't he of laid on top of her?) she would do someday...then it shows her joining him atop the stairs of the Titanic...she's wearing what sort of looks like a wedding dress, and there's everyone else there that died. I think she died and they were showing her joining everyone in "heaven". My cousin said I'm crazy and it was just her visiting him in her dreams. Whatever. I like my version better. :)
  9. Bridges of Madison County - When she puts her hand on the door knob of the car...thinking about running out to him...aaahhhh!! I swore I would hate this movie. I was convinced that I would hate any movie where one of the characters was being unfaithful...but I have to admit...it was a great movie.
  10. Goodnight Mother (or is it 'Night Mother?)- Sissy Spacek and Anne Bancroft...Sissy's character is getting ready to commit suicide, and the whole movie she's explaining to her mother how to handle everything after she kills herself. Let's just say it's not a feel-good ending.

I know there are many more (many that are more deep and meaningful I'm sure), but I'm drawing a blank. I'll add more later as I think of them.

There are also a few songs that tug at my heart strings:

  1. Godspeed by the Dixie Chicks - This is definitely my #1. I used to listen to this song over and over again. It was like rubbing salt into a wound and I couldn't get enough. Though I had many miscarriages, none got to me like the first. Perhaps it was b/c I was further along (11 weeks), maybe because it's the only one I had to have a D&C for...but that will always be to me the little girl that I lost (we were able to find out the sex after genetic testing that was done after the surgery). I would sit and listen to that song and feel so damn sorry for myself. I would listen to it on the way into work and sob uncontrollably. Now, I listen to it and the same thing happens...this time it's b/c I'm so happy.
  2. Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Not the original version. This one's by Isaac somebody (I need to find out). It is so beautiful. This is one of the songs I sing to the babies, so again, it's a baby-cry-your-eyes-out-song.
  3. Danny's Song by Kenny Loggins - It gets me thinking about me and my husband, how far we've come, how much I love him, and again our sweet babies. :)
  4. Pooh Song by Kenny Loggins - I'm not sure this is the real name...I would play the radio in the nursery when I would feed AR in the middle of the night - I would also at this time call the NICU to check on the boys. One night this song came on while I was holding AR and at the same time on hold with the hospital, I will think of this moment every time I hear that song.
  5. The Chair by George Strait - It's my hubby's and I's song. I will forever regret us not dancing to this at our wedding (a snafu w/the DJ...long story). The song reminds us of how we met. We met at a flag football game (thank you, BWB) - at a bar afterwards (a bar we call "The Hoosier Bar"), RD was too shy to strike up a conversation with me, so one of his friends switched some seats around so that we had to sit next to each other. He had no choice but to talk to me then. :)
  6. Remember When by Alan Jackson - Wow. The words to this song! I'm not a big AJ fan, but this song says so much. Again, I think of RD and me and our lives together...how many memories we have ahead of us. It's beautiful.
  7. He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones - I hope I have that name right. For some reason, I had a hard time remembering the name, and it's one of my favorite songs. It's a wonderful love song.
  8. Lord's Prayer - When sung, it is very powerful.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this many times. I'll probably think of a lot as I'm trying to get to sleep tonight. Have a great weekend, everybody!